What Are Magic Mushrooms?In short, magic mushrooms are wild mushrooms that produce hallucinogenic effects. They contain a compound called psilocybin, which changes into psilocin when ingested. This particular compound causes hallucinations and is responsible for the notorious effects of magic mushrooms. Think of psilocybin as the THC of mushrooms. Magic mushrooms are also called many different names. You may hear them referred to as:
- Philosopher’s stones
- Liberty caps
What Are the Effects of Magic Mushrooms?
Shrooms can cause a whole host of effects, with some positives and some negatives. The effects users experience while using mushrooms are referred to as a “trip.”
The most common effects of shrooms are hallucinations and distorted vision, sounds, and objects. All these things can appear different, more vibrant, or distorted when users take mushrooms. Other effects can include:
- Feelings of euphoria
- Fascination with a particular item
- Feeling in awe of people and things around you
- Increased energy
- Feelings of excitement
- Increased feelings of paranoia
- Feelings of panic
Like marijuana, magic mushrooms take time to take effect; it is not instantaneous. Users can expect to wait about 30 minutes before the effects start to take hold.
The effects of magic mushrooms are also long-lasting, impacting users for anywhere between six and 12 hours. The strongest feelings (or the peak) of the effects can usually come in the first three to four hours.
How Magic Mushrooms Work
Now that you are familiar with the effects and experience of using magic mushrooms, let’s look at how exactly they work.
Psilocybin works by acting on the nervous system. As it is ingested, it is converted to psilocin, which then binds to the neurotransmitter serotonin receptors, activating them to action. Hallucinogens also, in general, affect parts of the brain that regulate things like arousal and panic responses.
Psilocin’s effect on these areas leads to the shroom’s effects, giving people the hallucinogenic trip they desire.
How to Ingest Mushrooms
Some people have a dislike for the look and texture of regular mushrooms. This can make the idea of taking magic mushrooms a little off-putting. For many, that’s understandable as magic mushrooms are known for having a rather strong, earthy-taste and a rubber-like texture.
Thankfully, there are many options out there when it comes to ways to ingesting magic mushrooms. Shrooms can be ingested as part of:
- Food. Many shroom users will mix magic mushrooms into their food to mask the flavour. Add them to your omelette, using them as a pizza topping, or add them to your pasta sauce. Whatever your favourite dish, there is likely a way you can add a few magic mushrooms to it.
- Beverages. It may seem strange to drink magic mushrooms, but it is a popular way to take them. Shrooms can be steeped into a tea or added as part of a smoothie. Some retailers may offer powdered shrooms, allowing for them to be easily added to almost any beverage.
Finding the Right Magic Mushroom Dosage
Magic mushrooms can pack quite the punch. Take too much, and you may experience a bad trip. Take too little, and you may not feel anything at all. That’s why it is so important to choose the right amount to take.
The right dosage for you will vary based on:
- The type of magic mushroom you are using. Certain mushroom strains are stronger than others. Be sure you know the strength of the particular strain you are using and consider it when deciding how much to take.
- Your experience. If you are new to magic mushrooms, start with a low dose and give it time to take effect. You can always take more after. Experienced mushroom users may have more tolerance, allowing them to take more before they experience the shroom’s effects.
While magic mushrooms aren’t considered addictive, users can build up a tolerance quickly, requiring increased amounts to feel their effects.
All that said, there are typically five levels of doses when it comes to magic mushrooms.
- Microdose. This is the lowest level, coming in at around 0.05 to 0.25 grams. This level offers improved moods and increased energy but no altered perceptions.
- Mini-dose. Slightly more intense than a microdose, this level usually leads to clearer thinking and enhanced senses and is 0.25 grams to 0.75 grams.
- Museum dose. This dose is generally where users may start to experience altered perceptions. They are generally pretty mild, though. The museum dose is considered to come between 0.5 grams and 1.5 grams.
- Moderate dose. Coming in at 2 to 3.5 grams, a moderate dose will cause more of the effects shrooms are known for, including finding mundane things interesting.
- Megadose. This involves taking 5 or more grams of shrooms. This will cause strong hallucinations and strong effects.