Magic mushrooms are not new. In fact, some historians believe they may have been used as far back as 9000 B.C. But, it wasn’t until around the 1950s that Westerners started to use them.
Despite their old age, most people are familiar with magic mushrooms. People have either seen them on television or in movies. It’s not uncommon to see a movie storyline in which characters happen across some magic mushrooms, with an intense high taking place shortly after that. This representation can make magic mushrooms appealing to many.
Magic mushrooms are perhaps most known, thanks to word of mouth.
Their storied history and portrayal in the movies, as well as continued research on their effects, have led magic mushrooms to have a bit of a moment. Their popularity will likely only continue to grow as more and more places legalize their use.
But, before you purchase shrooms, get the details on what they are and what you can expect after taking them.
What Are Magic Mushrooms?
In short, magic mushrooms are wild mushrooms that produce hallucinogenic effects. They contain a compound called psilocybin, which changes into psilocin when ingested. This particular compound causes hallucinations and is responsible for the notorious effects of magic mushrooms. Think of psilocybin as the THC of mushrooms.
Magic mushrooms are also called many different names. You may hear them referred to as:
- Philosopher’s stones
- Liberty caps
Shrooms look like any other mushroom, with a long, thin stem topped off by that classic mushroom cap. They are usually grayish or brown but can be seen in other colours as well.
Magic mushrooms are typically sold raw, but some retailers may sell them dried.
What Are the Effects of Magic Mushrooms?
Shrooms can cause a whole host of effects, with some positives and some negatives. The effects users experience while using mushrooms are referred to as a “trip.”
The most common effects of shrooms are hallucinations and distorted vision, sounds, and objects. All these things can appear different, more vibrant, or distorted when users take mushrooms. Other effects can include:
- Feelings of euphoria
- Fascination with a particular item
- Feeling in awe of people and things around you
- Increased energy
- Feelings of excitement
- Increased feelings of paranoia
- Feelings of panic
Like marijuana, magic mushrooms take time to take effect; it is not instantaneous. Users can expect to wait about 30 minutes before the effects start to take hold.
The effects of magic mushrooms are also long-lasting, impacting users for anywhere between six and 12 hours. The strongest feelings (or the peak) of the effects can usually come in the first three to four hours.
Good Trip Vs. Bad Trip
Although most people find using magic mushrooms to be a pleasant experience (or a good trip), there are some people for whom the effects can be overwhelming and even scary. This causes someone to have a bad trip.
Many factors can determine the type of trip you will have after having shrooms. Your experience will be determined, in part, by:
- How much you take
- How experienced you are using shrooms
- Where you are located
- Who is around you
- Your mood
- Your mental state
People with mental health concerns, including depression, PTSD, and anxiety, may find magic mushrooms to enhance these issues. This can lead to a bad trip. Just as taking too much and dosing in an unfamiliar place with people you don’t know can lead to increased feelings of anxiety and paranoia.
Before using mushrooms, make sure you are in a good mental state and in a location you are comfortable at. If using shrooms with others, you should be sure you feel comfortable with them as well. This can help put your mind at ease and increase your likelihood of having a good trip.
If you experience a bad trip, find a quiet, comfortable place to rest for a while. Consider putting on soothing music and try to relax until the worst of the effects pass.
If you are with someone who is having a bad trip, try to reassure them and remain calm. However, if they become aggressive (as can sometimes happen), do not put yourself in harm’s way.
Whether you or a friend is experiencing a bad trip, medical intervention could be needed in some cases. Don’t hesitate to seek help should you feel it necessary for your health and safety.
How Magic Mushrooms Work
Now that you are familiar with the effects and experience of using magic mushrooms, let’s look at how exactly they work.
Psilocybin works by acting on the nervous system. As it is ingested, it is converted to psilocin, which then binds to the neurotransmitter serotonin receptors, activating them to action. Hallucinogens also, in general, affect parts of the brain that regulate things like arousal and panic responses.
Psilocin’s effect on these areas leads to the shroom’s effects, giving people the hallucinogenic trip they desire.
How to Ingest Mushrooms
Some people have a dislike for the look and texture of regular mushrooms. This can make the idea of taking magic mushrooms a little off-putting. For many, that’s understandable as magic mushrooms are known for having a rather strong, earthy-taste and a rubber-like texture.
Thankfully, there are many options out there when it comes to ways to ingesting magic mushrooms. Shrooms can be ingested as part of:
- Food. Many shroom users will mix magic mushrooms into their food to mask the flavour. Add them to your omelette, using them as a pizza topping, or add them to your pasta sauce. Whatever your favourite dish, there is likely a way you can add a few magic mushrooms to it.
- Beverages. It may seem strange to drink magic mushrooms, but it is a popular way to take them. Shrooms can be steeped into a tea or added as part of a smoothie. Some retailers may offer powdered shrooms, allowing for them to be easily added to almost any beverage.
Finding the Right Magic Mushroom Dosage
Magic mushrooms can pack quite the punch. Take too much, and you may experience a bad trip. Take too little, and you may not feel anything at all. That’s why it is so important to choose the right amount to take.
The right dosage for you will vary based on:
- The type of magic mushroom you are using. Certain mushroom strains are stronger than others. Be sure you know the strength of the particular strain you are using and consider it when deciding how much to take.
- Your experience. If you are new to magic mushrooms, start with a low dose and give it time to take effect. You can always take more after. Experienced mushroom users may have more tolerance, allowing them to take more before they experience the shroom’s effects.
While magic mushrooms aren’t considered addictive, users can build up a tolerance quickly, requiring increased amounts to feel their effects.
All that said, there are typically five levels of doses when it comes to magic mushrooms.
- Microdose. This is the lowest level, coming in at around 0.05 to 0.25 grams. This level offers improved moods and increased energy but no altered perceptions.
- Mini-dose. Slightly more intense than a microdose, this level usually leads to clearer thinking and enhanced senses and is 0.25 grams to 0.75 grams.
- Museum dose. This dose is generally where users may start to experience altered perceptions. They are generally pretty mild, though. The museum dose is considered to come between 0.5 grams and 1.5 grams.
- Moderate dose. Coming in at 2 to 3.5 grams, a moderate dose will cause more of the effects shrooms are known for, including finding mundane things interesting.
- Megadose. This involves taking 5 or more grams of shrooms. This will cause strong hallucinations and strong effects.
The Case for Microdosing Magic Mushrooms
Microdosing is becoming an increasingly popular way for people to use magic mushrooms. Microdosing involves taking a very small amount of the product (usually 1/10 or 1/20 of a standard dose). The dose is so small that no psychedelic effects occur.
Although users will experience no hallucinations or other intense effects with microdosing, there may be a change in their mood, energy levels, and concentration. These effects are what make microdosing with shrooms so popular. They can help enhance people’s day-to-day activities.
People who microdose will often take medicine on a set schedule. This schedule helps keep users from developing tolerance from such regular use of magic mushrooms.
Buying Magic Mushrooms Online
Online retailers are a popular source for mushroom users to purchase their preferred strains and products. Buying online allows users to avoid interacting with people (a benefit during the COVID-19 pandemic) and be discreet in their purchases.
Just like any big online purchase, it is important to research to make sure you are getting a quality product.
If you are considering buying magic mushrooms online, follow these steps:
- Decide what strain or product you want to use. If you don’t want to buy raw mushrooms, decide if an alternative like chocolate or powder is more your preference.
- Choose a reputable online retailer. Do some research on your potential seller. Look to see if they guarantee their product, have competitive prices, and how they ship their products to buyers. Read online reviews from other customers to get a feel for the service they offer their customers and the quality of their products.
- Make sure they have the product you want. Check to see if the store has the magic mushroom strain or product you want.
- Place your order. If everything looks good and you’ve found what you want to purchase, place your order and wait for them to arrive.
Some shroom users may choose to forgo purchasing their products from a store and instead try to directly get them out in nature. However, this can pose some challenges and risks.
Some types of poisonous mushrooms look similar to magic mushrooms. These can be unsafe for people to eat and can easily trick novice mushroom gatherers. When you buy online, you know exactly what mushroom you are getting, removing the guesswork required when you find your own.
Plus, when you grab your own mushrooms, you don’t have the choice on the strain you are trying. Buying an established strain from a grower or an online retailer can help you better prepare for the effects you may experience during your mushroom high.
Magic mushrooms have been around for a long time, and they don’t show any signs of disappearing soon. Their storied past and portrayal in movies have sparked curiosity in my people, leading them to try this exciting hallucinogenic product.
Known for their psychedelic effects, magic mushrooms can be a good experience for many users. However, taking a too high dose or taking shrooms while you are in a bad mood, in an unfamiliar place, or battling anxiety can lead to an overwhelming experience, known as a bad trip. That’s why it is important to start with a low dose and increase it as you feel comfortable.
There are also many ways to ingest magic mushrooms. Although some people choose to eat them raw, others find this option unappealing. Users may try working shrooms into food or drinks or try other products such as chocolates.
When it comes to buying magic mushrooms, you have options. Not only do you have to decide the strain and product you want, but it is important to find a reputable seller to purchase your product from. Take time to do your research on the company so you feel confident in the product you are buying.