After what felt like a very long winter, spring is finally here! The coming months, for many, will bring warmer weather, longer days, and the chance to get outdoors once again.
Spring also brings with it a renewed sense of energy. For many, this energy increase translates to increased productivity, or at least an attempt to raise your productivity by completing chores that have been put off, finishing up a project, and even cleaning the house. After all, the term “spring cleaning” is around for a reason.
Though you may have turned to specific marijuana strains in the winter to improve mood, relax, or release stress, you may want to consider trying different cannabis strains in the spring.
Below, we’ll introduce you to seven marijuana strains that can help you welcome spring by increasing your productivity, boosting energy levels, and more.
But first, what makes a cannabis strain “high energy” anyway?
The Makeup of Marijuana
Marijuana is a unique plant, and something science is continually learning more about. But what we do know is that cannabis plants have different compounds called cannabinoids. Each plant contains more than 100 different cannabinoids, which drive the various effects marijuana strains offer users.
Every marijuana strain is also made up of terpenes, which dictate the smell and taste distinct to each plant. Terpenes are not just found in marijuana; however, they are found all over in nature, including in the foods we eat and spices we use.
The other important factor in determining the makeup of a marijuana plant is what type of plant it is. There are three types of marijuana plants:
Indica plants and sativa plants are molecularly similar but are known for producing different effects for users. Hybrids are a cross between these two. They can either be split 50-50 or be considered indica-dominant or sativa-dominant. It depends on which plant has the majority in the hybrid’s breakdown.
The combination of the marijuana plant’s cannabinoid content, its terpene profile, and the type of plant it is, is what makes each strain unique. And as growers continue to create new strains by crossing existing ones, the combinations seem endless. There are thousands of different cannabis strains out there today—imagine how many there will be 10 years from now.
How Can I Tell if a Marijuana Strain is High-energy?
It is important to remember that everybody can have a different experience with a different strain of marijuana. Though reviews and knowing the strain’s makeup can help you determine what effects you are likely to feel, your experience could be different.
That being said, there are a few things you can look for if you want to find a high-energy marijuana strain for spring use.
- Look for sativa or sativa-dominant plants. Sativa plants, in general, are known for providing users with more a head-high than their Indica counterparts. They also tend to help increase energy, boost productivity and creativity, and provide general feelings of euphoria and happiness.
- Check the THC content. THC is the compound that is responsible for the “high” people associate with cannabis use. Generally, higher THC content can mean more potent highs from the plant. Low THC content can usually give people a calming, relaxed feeling. So, the higher the content, the more energy you will likely get from a sativa plant.
High-energy Cannabis Strains to Try This Spring
Despite knowing what to look for in a plant, there are still lots of options you can choose from in your search for the perfect springtime weed. Our list below offers some suggestions to help you get started.
- Chocolate Haze. Known for its coffee, earthy, and fruity flavour, Chocolate Haze is a robust sativa-dominant hybrid, coming in at 95 percent sativa and 5 percent indica. Because of its strong sativa profile, it is known for helping people focus and boosting energy for a few hours, giving people that extra help they need to finish out the tasks for today. With THC content ranging between 20 percent and 25 percent, users can expect an intense high, so adjust your dosage accordingly.
- Strawberry Lemonade. What says warmer weather more than lemonade and strawberries? Strawberry Lemonade is an award-winning strain that is beloved due to its taste: strawberry lemonade. It also offers a fruity, tangy aroma that is appealing to many users. This sativa-leaning hybrid comes in at 60 percent sativa with a THC content ranging from 16 percent to 20 percent. Though it is known for its energizing and uplifting effects, it also can give users a relaxing, full-body buzz while still maintaining function. So, this strain is best used in the late afternoon when you need a burst of energy before going home to relax.
- Jillybean. The hybrid strain is the child of Orange Velvet and Space Queen. Jillybean is a sativa-dominant plant with a ratio of 60-40 sativa-indica. As its name suggests, it is known for its jelly bean taste, making it the perfect springtime strain. Users will be greeted with notes of oranges and mangoes when they light it up. Jillybean is best known for leaving people feeling upbeat, euphoric, and energetic. It is often referred to as the perfect strain for social butterflies.
- Chocolope. A cross between Chocolate Thai and Cannalope Haze, Chocolope is known for its smoky, coffee, chocolate flavour. Some users even report using Chocolope in place of their usually coffee pick-me-up at times. This strain is another heavy sativa-dominant, coming in at 95 percent sativa. This, combined with a THC content ranging between 16 percent and 20 percent, make it quite potent. Users who enjoy Chocolope can expect strong euphoric feelings, increased alertness, and an improved mood. Chocolope is the perfect strain to take before getting together with friends or if you need a way to liven up your household chores.
- Super Silver Haze. A cross between Skunk, Northern Lights, and Haze strains, Super Silver Haze is a three-time award winner. This energizing strain won the Cannabis Cup three years running back in the 1990s. Super Silver Haze, another sativa-dominant hybrid, is generally 80 percent sativa and 20 percent indica. The hybrid strain is known for giving users quick-hitting, intense effects, so be prepared when you use it. Super Silver Haze usually provides a boost in energy and can spur creativity and happiness. However, it can make concentrating difficult, so it is best to use it when you are in more of a creative headspace or if you want some energy while getting out to enjoy the outdoors this spring.
- Sour Diesel. Another sativa strain, Sour Diesel, also has high THC content, often coming in anywhere between 18 percent and a whopping 26 percent. That makes this a rather potent type of cannabis. Though its exact origins are somewhat debated, one thing that is certain is that it will deliver an intense high. It offers a diesel smell and an aftertaste of lemon (hence its name). Users can expect a cerebral high that will energize them quickly. If you need a boost this spring, this high-energy strain is a good option. Just be careful to watch your dosing so you don’t take more than you can handle. Remember, it is potent.
- Jack Herer. Named after the famed marijuana activist and author, Jack Herer has won multiple awards for its quality and potency. A sativa marijuana strain, Jack Herer is known for boosting energy, leaving people feeling happy and euphoric, and even spurring creativity. It’s the perfect strain to use when running errands or finish up spring cleaning tasks around the house. It offers a spicy pine taste and smell. With its THC content on the higher end, users can expect quick-hitting and long-lasting effects.
Need Help Deciding What Strain Is Right for You?
There are so many more cannabis strains that can increase your energy levels than the seven listed above. However, these strains offer a great place to start. But it can still be a challenge to decide what strain (or strains) to try. Here are some tips to help.
- First, keep in mind not all strains are available in all areas. Before deciding on a high-energy marijuana strain to try, you’ll want to check to see if it is available in a local dispensary or from an online retailer that can and will ship to your area.
- Talk to your friends. If you have close friends who also enjoy using weed, ask if they have had any good strains lately that they found boosted their energy levels. They’ll likely have a few suggestions and may even be able to tell you some that didn’t quite deliver the energy-boost that it promised.
- Ask for recommendations. Your local budtender, as well as an online dispensary, can help you find the perfect strain. Contact them with your request. Outline what effects you hope to experience (increased energy) as well as flavours and aromas you like so they can make informed recommendations just for you.
Though the final choice on which high-energy marijuana strain you want to try this spring is yours, getting input can help you make this decision.
Managing Dosing and Trying New Marijuana Strains
Whenever anyone, experienced smokers or those new to cannabis, find a new strain to try, it is important to not over-do it. Though it is difficult to overdose on marijuana, ingesting too much can lead to more potent effects than you anticipated and a “bad high.”
Before trying a new strain, make sure you know how much THC and CBD the strain has. These amounts can vary slightly between different sellers. So, you will want to make sure you look at the strain that a particular seller has to offer. Knowing this will allow you to gauge how much you can likely take.
Know how quickly it will take effect. While smoking weed usually offers relatively fast-acting results, some strains can differ. Some strains are considered “sleeper strains” with effects that are delayed and sneak up later. Others are quick-hitting with near-immediate effects. Read reviews and product information to know which your strain is. This will help prevent you from taking more when in fact, the cannabis just hasn’t had a chance to take effect yet.
Finally, start low and go slow. Though experienced users will likely know how much product they can tolerate, newbies won’t. It is always better to start with a low dose, just a few puffs, and take more as needed. Just be sure to allow it time to take effect before taking more.
High-energy Marijuana Strains: A Summary
There are thousands of unique cannabis strains on the market today. Each is made up of various cannabinoids and terpenes, and each will fall into a specific category of plant. That means people who are searching for a strain to boost their energy have many options to choose from.
Sativa and sativa-dominant hybrid strains are known for producing more energetic effects. So, starting your search with these strains is a good idea. But it is essential to remember that everyone reacts to cannabis differently, so though these are most often the ones that provide a high-energy high, not all strains in this family will.
You can start your search for a new springtime cannabis strain by choosing one from our list. Or, you can continue to look for strains to try on your own. You can ask for advice from fellow cannabis-users or even the dispensary from who you are planning to purchase your product.
As spring arrives and people get anxious to get outdoors, high-energy cannabis strains are the perfect way to enjoy it. These strains can provide that extra boost people need to finish their spring-cleaning list, get out after a long day, get the energy they need to complete tasks while stuck inside, or make a COVID-safe meet-up with friends more fun.
As always, use smartly and enjoy trying new high-energy marijuana strains.