Cannabis is a drug to be enjoyed. People like cannabis in different forms and may have varying experiences with each form. What works for you may not work for another. Most people who want to use cannabis without smoking or vaporizing turn to tinctures and edibles. But, even these are not ideal for everyone.
Marijuana dispensaries across the country have started selling marijuana capsules called the “canna-caps.” The capsules became popular because they are easy to ingest and have specific THC content.
Marijuana capsules contain cannabis extracts mixed with some oil to enhance the absorption of the cannabinoids. Users do not have to deal with smoke, odours, or sugary edibles because they are easy to ingest. Each capsule has a predetermined dosage, making it easier for health practitioners and users to determine the exact milligram amount a patient consumes. Also, there is no wastage when using capsules, and you can integrate it into your daily supplement or vitamin routine. When cannabis is in capsule form, you can discreetly and safely transport it without drawing attention.
The problem, however, is that the capsules vary significantly in potency. While a supplier may have consistent products, you are not assured that you will get your product of choice every time. Stores often operate based on customer feedback, and if the customers do not like a particular stock, the dispensary may discontinue its sale. If that’s your favorite strain, you may be bummed out.
The key to avoiding disappointments like these is in making your own canna-caps. You will have the chance to design the caps according to the dosage that works for you best. You only need a few items that are easy to get and a few hours of your time. If you are on board with the idea of making your cannabis capsules, here is the recipe and the tools you will need.
Cannabis Capsule Recipe
Here are the ingredients and the tools you need:
- Half-teaspoon soy lecithin.
- 7 to 15 grams of dried and ground cannabis.
- At least 50 size-0 empty gelatin capsules (or cellulose capsules for vegans).
- A quarter to a half cup extra virgin or vegetable oil.
- A capsule filling machine.
- Capsule holder.
- A scale that measures in grams.
- A 10-milligram syringe or eyedropper.
- Cooking pot with a lid/Crockpot.
- Glass bowl.
- Small bowl.
- Baking tray.
- Parchment paper.
- Rubber band.
- Piece of cheesecloth.
Before you start preparing the cannabis oil and capsules, double-check the measurements for all your ingredients. Correct measurements ensure that you end up with the right THC concentration. Read the two methods outlined below and choose one, depending on the tools available to you.
With your ingredients and tools ready, you may now move forward to make the capsules. Take the following steps:
- First, you will need to preheat your oven. Set your oven temperature to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Take the baking tray and line it with the baking sheet or parchment paper. The cover will keep the marijuana from sticking to your baking tray. Ensure that your oven can maintain a specific temperature because if it goes higher, it may affect the quality of your product.
- The next step is to decarb your cannabis. Decarboxylation is the process of heating some ground-up cannabis for a particular period to activate the THC. Decarboxylation converts the THCa in the herb into THC.
- Take some 5.5 grams of little cannabis buds. Based on your preference, you may add or reduce this amount, but only slightly. Trim the buds so that they cook evenly, and if possible, grind them slightly. A food processor or a manual grinder will work well. When going for a fine grind using a food processor, grind for only five or eight seconds.
- Spread the ground cannabis trim evenly on the lined baking tray. Slide the tray into the oven, and do not heat the oven for more than 60 minutes. While the cannabis trim is baking in the oven, get your crockpot and plug it in. It takes some minutes to heat.
- Measure a quarter cup of pure virgin or coconut oil inside the crockpot. Put the buds inside the oil and let them cook together. As the concoction cooks, it might start to smell.
- Take out the oven tray with the mixture you ground earlier and grind it again. The second grinding turns the cannabis into very fine particles. For this step, too, you may use a manual grinder of a food processor. When using a food processor, this time, grind it for 20 seconds.
- Add the fine powder cannabis to the heating crockpot. The oil you put inside the crockpot must allow all contents to be submerged. Stir in the ingredients until they make a smooth blend.
- Cook this mixture for 3 hours or more. Some people leave the crockpot on an entire night, but the three hours are enough. Also, cooking for a long time does not translate to a better blend or increased potency. Switch off the crockpot and allow the mixture to start to cool down. Stir it for at least an hour as it cools.
- With your cannabis mixture ready, set up your filling machine. Adhering to the instructions, place the 50 empty capsules in the filling machine. Fix all tops to the containers to ensure that none is lost.
- Cut a piece of the cheesecloth, and it should be twice the size of the bowl you have. This ensures that you will not lose any of your ingredients. Fold the cloth into two, to make it thicker, and place it above your small bowl. Secure the cheesecloth with a rubber band. You will use this setup to strain the oil mixture.
- With the mixture cooled down, pour it into the cheesecloth. Remove any hard and dry contents using a spatula. Once drained, pull the rubber band out, or cut it, and be keen not to lose any of the contents left on the cheesecloth. Fold the cloth together and squeeze out the extra oil, leaving the contents on the cheesecloth completely dry. Be careful because the oil may still be hot. You could also place the cheesecloth on a mesh and let the contents dry on their own.
- Once you have collected the oil, the wrung is no longer useful, and you can dispose of it. Throw away the cheesecloth you used also. Now, take your syringe and fill it with the cannabis-infused oil. Let each cap fill to the top. The syringe may block, but if you try to unblock it and the problem persists, take another syringe.
- Close every cap that you fill with cannabis oil and place them inside a refrigerator. You will be drawing your caps from there whenever you want to consume some cannabis. You do not have to thaw them. If you see the cannabis caps becoming lighter in color, it could be that the oil inside (if you used coconut oil) has solidified.
The second method is like the first, only that you use a double boiler instead of a crockpot.
- Start by preheating your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Line your baking tray with parchment paper, ready to decarb your weed. As the oven preheats, use a grinder to grind the cannabis flower. Spread it evenly onto the parchment paper-lined on the baking tray.
- When your oven gets to the right oven temperature, slide your tray inside and bake the weed for 30 to 45 minutes. When done, do not switch off your oven as you will need it still.
- Create a double boiler by halfway filling your pot with water and bringing it to a gentle boil. Get your coconut oil and soy lecithin and put them in the smaller cooking bowl. Place the bowl inside the boiling water and ensure that it floats. When the contents in the small bowl melt, add the decarboxylated cannabis and give it a thorough mix.
- Pull the small bowl out of the double boiler setup and pour the hot water from the pot. Pour the mixture in the small bowl into the pot, then put it in the oven. Leave it there for another 30 to 45 minutes, but occasionally check on it and stir the contents.
- Now, take the pot from the oven. Use a rubber band to fasten a cheesecloth over the mouth of a small jar. You may also use a strainer. Strain the liquid in the pot through the strainer of cheesecloth, making sure to shake out or squeeze out any liquid that collects on the cheesecloth or strainer. Let this liquid cool completely, but not so much that it solidifies. A temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit may melt your capsules.
- Set up your capsule filling machine. If you fill the capsules manually, pull their tops off, and arrange them neatly on your table. Using the filling machine is the more convenient of the two. Fill the larger half of your capsule with the oil, then place the smaller cap on top to close it up. You end up with closed and oil-filled capsules. If the capsules have oil on them or feel sticky, pat them gently with some paper towel. You now have your homemade canna-caps.
You May Postpone Filling
Once you have your cannabis oil ready, some people opt to store the oil in a syringe or dropper and fill the capsule right before taking them. For example, you could fill the caps in the morning and carry them for consumption later in the day. Gelatin capsules sometimes dissolve from the oil, as do the vegan cellulose capsules. However, cellulose capsules hold much better than the gelatin ones.
If you must fill, do not fill more capsules than you will need in 15 days. Store your canna-caps in a dark container, away from sunlight. Sunlight may degrade the THC. The storage container must also be childproof, out of the reach of both children and pets.
How Strong Are Your Marijuana Capsules?
Understanding your capsules’ strength is crucial because it helps you take note of what works for you. The strength of the end product depends on the potency of the cannabis you use.
If you use a herb that has a 20 percent THC profile, add “0” to the end of that percentage to indicate the milligram THC content per gram of oil. In this case, the capsules will contain 200 milligrams of THC for each gram.
If you use 5 grams of cannabis of the 20 percent THC profile, the total THC content of your marijuana will be 1000mg of THC. Since you will be using 50 capsules, each capsule will contain 20mg each. Knowing this will help you determine the amount of oil to use, not to dilute the oil cannabis mixture too much.
It May Take a While
Ingested cannabis takes more time to kick in than the inhaled kind. The time before onset may vary between one and four hours. Please do not assume that it’s not working and take more than needed. If you do, you will get overly intoxicated and spend your time feeling uncomfortable.
If you are not looking to get high, you do not want to decarboxylate your cannabis in the oven. THCA is said to have some properties that are good for your health. You will not get high, but you may have relief from nausea and inflammation. It may also stimulate your appetite.
Why Make Homemade Marijuana Capsules
You will enjoy having cannabis capsules. Besides getting you just the right dosage, they are comfortable to use. Some people do not like the thought of smoking, vaping, or consuming cannabis edibles. Persons with asthma, for example, may have difficulty smoking or vaping. Persons with blood sugar issues may not want to consume sugary edibles either. Also, some edibles work a little too well, leaving you too high to do your work, which could be detrimental for you. You want a dose that will give you the relief you need without affecting your functionality. As such, capsules become a convenient way to get high. They are discreet, and you only need to pop one into your mouth. Wash the pill down with a mouthful of water, and you’re good to go.
Be sure to test the capsules at home, when you have nothing important to do or nowhere to go. See how that dosage affects you. If comfortable, next time you take a capsule, you may engage in a safe activity. Even when you think you can handle it, avoid operating machinery or driving when high.